Monday 13 August 2012

2-Month Mark

I cannot believe that I have been in Ghana for two months already.  Time has flown by!  I have been having so much fun, even in the day-to-day things that I didn't see a quarter of my time here slip away.  I really do feel that I have made the most of it, and can't wait to use the next six months for even more learning and growth!

At work I am starting to get more long-term projects, and am currently working on revamping the organizations reporting and documentation system.  I am really excited to get all of these documents in order and get the correspondence of the organization better coordinated.

This weekend I travelled to the Volta region for the funeral of my boss' mother.  I was worried that it would be a sad day and be uncomfortable for me.  It was the most joyful event I have ever seen.  We were all dressed in black and many had red cloth tied around their waists.  The music was played by a marching band and was upbeat and everyone was dancing and clapping.  The funeral ended with six men picking up the coffin and dancing with it.  And when I say dancing, I mean dancing!  They even azonto-ed with it!  If you don't know what Azonto is, please watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTUIlOudlHI  And then picture me trying to dance like that...all of the time hahaha!

My mom arrives in Accra tomorrow and I am beyond excited.  I can't wait to show her everything I have been doing here and how my life is day-to-day.  We are also going to explore Cape Coast and spend a few nights having a "tropical vacation" at an eco-friendly beach resort just outside Takoradi.  I am very interested to see what she finds shocking and interesting about Ghana and then explaining how normal it is to me now.  Will be greeting her with a loud "AKWAABA!"


No comments:

Post a Comment